This podcast is a departure from the dispersed software development teams I usually cover. I interviewed Susan Tenby and Jessica Dally of TechSoup, a nonprofit focused on providing other nonprofits with the technology they need to better accomplish their missions. One way they assist nonprofits is in helping them to use Second Life, a massive on-line “virtual world”, to collaborate and build community online.
I talked to Susan and Jessica about why TechSoup is a distributed organization, and why organizations are using Second Life to meet, network, and do their work. For someone who spends a lot of time doing remote collaboration, it was eye-opening for me to discover this whole new frontier of online interaction. After listening to this interview you may just be inspired to add a virtual world meeting space to your own remote collaboration tool box.
- Susan Tenby is @suzboop on Twitter
- Jessica Dally is @jessicadally
- TechSoup is @techsoup on Twitter
- Nonprofit Commons is @npsl on Twitter.
- A video about NPSL’s work in Second Life
- Second Life
- Hypergrid Business, a blog devoted to “enterprise users of virtual worlds”
- Community Voice Mail
- 5PM project management tool